LAFB Housing Management Office - Air Force
11 Burrell Street
Langley AFB, VA 23665
Phone (DSN) 312-574-5040
Fax (DSN) 312-574-5480
Mon - Fri 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Ask your Command or local housing office to learn more about PCSing.com that is currently available for most military installations. This site allows military members and families to:
- Search listings and pictures of available rentals near military installations
- Articles to understand all the ins and out of PCSing to a new location
- Find out about shared rentals
- List and advertise their own properties for rent or to other military families PCSing
- List their homes For Sale By Owner (FSBO) to other military members PCSing
- How to Contact the military installation housing office they are PCSing to.
- For Local Certified Military Relocator agents to help in your PCSing needs
Langley Government Housing
Visit the Air Force Housing website to find out everything you need to know about privatized housing on base, unaccompanied housing and non-government housing options in the local community. The Housing Management Office (HMO) is ready to support you in the transition to your new home and community. Use the resources provided to become familiar with the housing options and support services available to you.
When you arrive at Joint Base Langley-Eustis, you must visit the HMO to receive counseling and guidance before entering into any written lease or rental/sales contract for housing.
You can also contact a local Certified Military Relocator Agent who could also assist you in all you off base housing needs.
Many communities surround Fort Eustis and Langley; the closest is Newport News and Yorktown approximately 5 to 30 minute drive based on location. Additional housing is available in Hampton, Poquoson, Williamsburg and Gloucester, approximately 30 minutes to an hour. Housing is also located on the "Southside" Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Isle of Wight. Fort Eustis is located what is considered "Peninsula".
Housing Services Office - (HSO)
The HSO is your contact for any problems you may encounter such as discrimination complaints, tenant/landlord disputes, or any questions or problems concerning off-post housing. The HSO will provide you a list of available rentals and can provide information regarding the communities in which the rentals are located.
Most rental agencies and many rental properties in the area require a non-refundable Application Processing/Security Check Fee, a non-refundable Pet Deposit, and a Security Deposit of at least one month's rent. A list of rental properties participating in the Deposit Waiver Program is available at the Fort Eustis Housing Office at Bldg 650 Monroe Ave. Check your HSO for rental agencies that are off-limits to Soldiers.
Once you have decided to purchase a new home, determine your needs based on family size, affordability, area of town, the importance of such things as yard, garage and distance from work and schools etc. Shop around by either driving through neighborhoods or looking in the newspaper. If you are considering acquiring a previously owned home the off post housing location has a list of available properties. Consider using your VA loan for the best value. Most properties qualify for 100% financing at competitive interest rates for a 30 year term. When selecting a Realtor be sure that you only deal with one who is licensed by the Virginia Real Estate Commission. Get answers to all your questions and let your Realtor know your needs and desires.
A good guideline of how much you can afford to pay is to not exceed 29% of your household gross monthly income. Include monthly payments for insurance and taxes in your planning. Find out how much down payment and closing costs may be required.
The following documents and information are needed for processing a loan application:
- Copies of Tax Returns and W2's for the last 2 years
- Employment history on all borrowers
- Checking and Savings Account information
- Social Security number for each borrower
- Complete information on all installment debts and credit cards, i.e. account numbers balance of monthly payments, value of automobiles, boats, furniture and details on such assets as stocks, bonds and life insurance
- If alimony or child support is paid or received, a copy of the divorce decree is needed
- If bankruptcy was filed within last 7 years a copy of the bankruptcy paper is needed
- DD 214 for all VA property while your loan is being processed, you should not make major purchases, such as cars or appliances. New debts may affect financing.
There are many mobile home parks that not only provide spaces but also rent both furnished and unfurnished mobile homes. Contact the Housing Services Office before beginning your off-post housing search. The Housing Office maintains a current listing of available mobile homes and can provide guidance in selecting one that fits your needs and entering into rental contracts. You can also get information from the Relocation Readiness program.
Service members must contact the Housing Office prior to looking for off post housing.