Count on us to guide you home

Fort Drum

Watertown, New York

Return to Home Page         Return to Base Home Page


Army Community Service - Information, Referral & Followup
4330 Conway Road
Building P-4330
Fort Drum, NY 13602

Phone 315-772-6557 / 315-772-6556 
Phone (DSN) 312-772-6557/6556
Fax 315-772-6965
Fax (DSN) 312-772-6965

Mon – Fri – 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Sat, Sun, and Holidays – closed


Base Regulations

Fort Drum Speed Limit -- The installation speed limit is 25 mph, unless otherwise posted. The speed limit in all housing areas is 20 mph on roads leading into each neighborhood, 15 mph on all roads with a house on them, and 10 mph on all roads when children are present. All vehicles must slow to 10 mph when passing troops in formation (any time during the day) and during PT hours (7:00 a.m. 8:30 a.m.).

Parking -- Parking on all roadways on Fort Drum is prohibited November 1 - April 1 to allow for snow removal.

Bicycle Helmets - All personnel riding a bicycle on Fort Drum must wear a bike helmet.

Skateboards and Rollerblades/Skates -- Fort Drum regulation 190-2 restricts the use of skateboards and roller skates to unoccupied sidewalks, pathways, outdoor tennis and basketball courts, and parking lots. Helmets are required. Rollerblades are authorized on roadways with the use of proper safety equipment. Proper safety equipment includes helmet, knee pads, wrist pads, and a high visibility garment with 40 square inches of reflective material visible front and back.

Access to Fort Drum

Fort Drum is a restricted access post.   Fort Drum uses the Mobilisa Access Control System for all personnel entering Fort Drum. All personnel entering the installation must produce photo ID for scanning by the Mobilisa system. Personnel must produce photo ID for all occupants of the vehicle and may be required to comply with additional procedures to gain access. Visitors must obtain a temporary access pass if they are visiting for more than two days. Individuals unable to provide a photo identification card will not be permitted access. Foreign nationals who are in the United States with a visa may be required to present a valid visa in addition to their passport.

Obtaining a Temporary Access Pass

Extended passes for visitors visiting or conducting business for more than two days are issued by the Directorate of Emergency Services, Military Police Station, building P-10715 Mt. Belvedere Blvd., once the reason for entering Fort Drum has been verified. Passes will not exceed 90 days and will allow entry for the duration of the visit. The following documents must be presented in order to obtain a pass:

  • Valid state driver's license
  • Valid vehicle registration
  • Proof of valid vehicle insurance

Obtaining a DoD Decal

Effective 31 August 2011, vehicle registration is no longer required on Fort Drum.

Obtaining a Driver's License

Fort Drum has a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Office located in Clark Hall, building P-10720 Mt. Belvedere Blvd. You may apply for a driver’s license or permit, exchange an out-of-state or Canadian driver’s license, and register your vehicle at this office. The Fort Drum office does not conduct driver’s license road tests. A list of road test locations can be obtained from the New York State (NYS) DMV website.

When applying for a NYS driver's license or exchanging an out-of-state or Canadian driver's license for a NYS driver's license, you must present proof of identity that equals a value of six points, proof of date of birth, and your social security card. A list ofacceptable proofs of identity and their corresponding point values is available online or at any NYS Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office.

NYS recognizes driver's licenses held by residents of other U.S. states, U.S. territories and Federal districts and Canadian provinces. If you become a resident of NYS you must apply for a NYS driver's license within 30 days of becoming a NYS resident.

Exchanging an Out-of-State or Canadian Driver's License

You can exchange an out-of-state driver's license or Canadian driver's license for a NYS license if the driver's license has your photograph and the date of issue, the driver's license is not suspended or revoked, and the driver's license has been valid for at least 6 months, or has expired in the past 12 months.

You cannot exchange the following types of driver licenses for a NYS driver license:

  • a driver license with no photo
  • a driver license that does not show the date that the driver license was issued. 
  • a learner permit
  • a temporary driver license or an interim driver license
  • a hardship driver license or an "employment only driver license"
  • a driver license expired for more than 12 months
  • a non-commercial driver license valid for less than 6 months.
  • a driver license marked "non-renewable" or "non-transferable"

To exchange an acceptable out-of-state photo driver license for a NYS driver license:

  • Complete application form MV-44 and apply at a local DMV office.

  • Pass a vision test at the DMV office, or bring a valid form MV-619 (Eye Test Report) completed by an eye-care professional. 
  • Surrender your out-of-state driver license.
  • Provide at least two points of identification and proof of date of birth, and your out-of-state photo driver license, and your Social Security Card.
  • Show your Social Security Card. If you are not eligible for a Social Security Card, you must provide a letter from the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) that states that you are not eligible. The SSA Letter must have been issued within the last 30 days. You must also show an I-94 with one of the following codes: B-1, B-2, E-2, F-2, H4, L-2, M-2, O-3, P-4, Q-3, R-2 or TD. At least 11 months of valid, legal status must remain on your I-94.

Pay the application fee and the driver's license fee (fee varies by age and class of driver's license) with cash, check, money order or credit card. 

New Driver - Applying for a New York State Driver's License

  • Apply for a learner permit at a local NYS DMV office.

  • Pay the application fee and the driver's license fee (fees vary by age and class of driver's license).

  • Pass the vision test and the written test.

  • Receive your permit.

  • Practice for your road test.

  • Take a mandatory driver education course or a DMV-approved pre-licensing course.

  • Use your driver education certificate or pre-licensing course certificate to make an appointment for your road test by phone or on-line.

  • Pass your road test and receive your NYS driver license.

Local Motor Vehicle Regulations

Speed Limits -- The speed limit in New York State is 65 MPH on I-81. On all other non-residential roads, the speed limit is 55 MPH unless otherwise posted. Fines for speeding are doubled in roadwork zones.

New York State Bicycle Helmet Law -- New York State Law requires all children under the age of 14 years to wear a helmet when riding a bicycle. All personnel riding a bicycle on Fort Drum must wear a bike helmet.

Windshield Wipers -- When windshield wipers are used due to inclement weather, vehicle headlights must be on.

Cell phone usage -- New York State law and Fort Drum regulation forbids the use of a hand-held cell phone while driving. A hands free cell phone device may be used.

Car seats --New York State law and Fort Drum regulation requires children under age 4 to ride in child safety seats. Children age 4, 5, and 6 are required to ride in a child restraint system.

Liability Insurance

A motor vehicle registered in NYS must have liability insurance. Insurance coverage must be a minimum of $25,000/50,000 for injury, $50,000/100,000 for death, and $10,000 for property damage caused by any one accident. New York State is a no-fault state. The liability coverage must remain in effect while the registration is valid, even if the vehicle is not used.

Vehicle Registration

If you are a not a resident of NYS, a vehicle registration from your state of residence is valid in NYS. If you become a resident of NYS, you have 30 days after you become a resident to register your vehicle in NYS. If you are a resident of NYS and you get a vehicle from another state, you must register the vehicle in NYS.

Annual Vehicle Safety Inspection

All vehicles registered in NY State must undergo an annual safety inspection and emissions inspection. Both inspections are completed at the same time. Inspections may be completed on post at the Firestone Car Care Center or off post by a DMV-registered inspection station. These inspection stations display a yellow and black sign that reads “Official Inspection Station”.  

Visit the New York State DMV website or local office for additional licensing and vehicle registration information.

Homes Near Base

No listings found for Fort Drum.