Check In \ Processing
1000 Shaw Drive, Building 9
Shaw AFB, SC 29152
Phone (DSN) 312-965-5359
6 a.m. - 6 p.m.
The Carolina Pines Inn handles all temporary lodging needs for members and their families. Lodging is open 24 hours a day and consists of 14 pet-friendly units and guest utilizing these quarters incur a pet fee of $10.00 that is applied to their account daily. Guest must abide by the Air Force Lodging Pet policy and provide proof for all vaccination at the time of check-in. If a pet friendly unit is not available, guest will need to kennel their pets. Please check the Airman and Family Readiness Center or the Carolina Pines Inn for a list of kennels in the local area.
Documents to Hand Carry
- PCS orders
- All personal identification documents; military ID cards, marriage and birth certificates, passports and 3.Social Security cards
- Medical records, including immunization records for family and pets
- Leave and Earning statements (LES)
- Proof of car insurance and registration- If you are returning from an overseas assignment, have proof that you were insured (from your overseas insurance company) during the time you were out of country. If you cannot prove insurance, you will be considered "uninsured" for that period and be required to pay higher premiums when obtaining insurance here
- School records
- Inventory list of household goods shipment
- Any bills of sales pertaining to vehicles, especially if you purchased the car overseas- (you will need these to register your car)
Newcomers arriving to Shaw on a duty day between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. are required to check in with the Military Personnel Flight located in the Support Group Building, Number 1118 on Shaw Air Force Base. Your sponsor or a designated representative from your unit will be available to assist you with your initial arrival. If you get lost, please stop by your unit or the Airman and Family Readiness Center for assistance. We have one main road on Shaw Air Force Base, Shaw Drive; follow the Airman and Family Readiness Center directional signs.
Inprocessing with your new unit must be accomplished before taking permissive leave for house hunting. You must also Contact the Military Personnel Flight Right Start inprocessing monitor for check-in and additional information on other military requirements.
*Relocation Assistance Program services at the Airman and Family Readiness Center can assist you with local area information and direct you to services available on and off base.
Information for the Military Spouse
If your spouse is new to Shaw Air Force Base or to the Air Force way of life ask your spouse to attend the Right Start Briefing with you and contact your Airman and Family Readiness Center. If your spouse would like to volunteer, find employment in the area, learn what Air Force life is all about new to Air Force life ask him/her if they would like to attend Heart Link. It is an educational fun program. The 20th Fight Wing Commander will open the program and your spouse will graduate and receive a spouse's coin. Spouses will learn what is available to them for free and what to expect while you are stationed here at Shaw Air Force Base. It is a helpful way to build and establish new friends and learn about all the agencies available for your spouse, for free, on base.
Getting Married Enroute
If you get married in route to your new duty station you must inform your commander and register your spouse in DEERS with the Military Personnel Flight, Customer Service. Bring your marriage certificate for proof of marriage. Follow procedures exactly as you are given them. The military will not pay for travel and housing of your spouse if you do not follow proper procedures.