Count on us to guide you home

Fort Hood

Killeen, Texas

Return to Home Page         Return to Base Home Page


Information, Referral and Follow-up (IR&F)
761st Tank Battalion
Corner of T.J. Mills Blvd.
Rivers Building 121
Fort Hood, TX 76544

Phone 254-553-1593
Phone (DSN) 312-663-1593
Fax 254-287-8428
Fax (DSN) 312-737-8428

Mon - Fri 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Sat and Sun -closed
Holidays - closed


Base Regulations

Base Entry -- Effective immediately, in accordance with DOD Directives, Fort Hood and the Directorate of Emergency Services will no longer conduct vehicle registration operations at the Fort Hood Welcome Center. DOD Identification card holders (Soldiers, Registered Family Members, Retirees and DOD Civilians) will no longer need to possess DOD Decals on their vehicles in order to gain access to the installation. DOD ID card holders (no change) will be allowed to proceed directly to Installation Access Points and present their DOD ID cards to security personnel.

Seat Belts -- Seat belts are required at all times while driving on post. Infant car seats are required as well. Minimum amount of liability insurance is required.

Parking -- Parking of motor vehicles is authorized only in those areas/spaces designated for parking.

Speed Limits -- Speed limit on Fort Hood is 30 mph unless otherwise posted.

Registering Vehicles on Base

Fort Hood and the Directorate of Emergency Services acknowledge that this process is different than previous access requirements and will have a transitional period and information campaign to ensure the transition is as convenient as possible in accordance with the directive requirements. DOD ID
card holders will continue to be able to Escort passengers inside of their vehicles (who are in possession of a valid ID card).

Beginning 30 June 2015 thru 31 August 2015, NON-DOD ID card holders (no Change) who are driving will be required to obtain a pass issued at the Vehicle Welcome Center, passengers in these vehicles will only be required to produce valid ID card to security personnel.

Beginning 01 September 2015 ALL Non-DOD ID card holders (drivers and passengers) will be required to report to the Vehicle Welcome Center and be included on the Installation Access Pass in order to be allowed access to the installation. This includes the driver and all passengers, except children. Customers who walk onto post or ride a bicycle will also be required to get a pass from the visitor center before entering the installation.

Insurance -- Regardless of status or home of record, the state requires vehicles to have Texas minimum liability insurance of $20,000 bodily injury per person, $40,000 per accident for bodily injury and $15,000 for property damage. Drivers have 30 days after moving to Texas to change their vehicle insurance coverage.

The public is welcome to visit Fort Hood and gain easy access by simply showing a current driver’s license, insurance, and vehicle registration. 

Requirements for Temporary Vehicle Pass:

  • Active, Guard & Reserve service members, Dept. of the Army & DoD civilian employees, retirees and family members must have a valid ID card 
  • Contractors without ID or CAC need a letter of employment
  • Motorcyclist must have an endorsement on their license and Basic or Advanced Rider Motorcycle Safety card
  • Valid driver’s license
  • Current vehicle registration
  • Proof of current insurance
  • License plate number / Current vehicle registration for passes four days or longer
  • Destination as name of facility, building number, street address, or unit name

Note: If there are any additional drivers to listed on the temporary pass, they must provide their Social Security account number, driver’s license number and state of license origin.

Requirements for Rental Vehicles:

You may drive a rental vehicle directly to an entry control point without a pass from the Visitors Center.

  • Active, Guard & Reserve service members, Dept. of the Army & DoD civilian employees, retirees and family members must have a valid ID card
  • Valid driver’s license
  • Vehicle rental agreement

Texas Driver's License

Active duty military do not have to obtain Texas driver's licenses. Family members must obtain one within 30 days if their previous state does not have a military extension. Soldiers and family members can obtain their driver's licenses and get their vehicles registered at the Bell County Annex at 301 and 302 Priest Drive in Killeen or at the Ft Hood Bell County Annex at bldg 69004, next to the Marvin Leath Visitor Center, or Texas DPS driver’s license office inside the Marvin Leath Visitor Center, bldg 69012.

Three forms of identification are needed for a Texas driver's license or Texas identification card. Active duty military will only need their military identification card.

Texas charges a 6.25% motor vehicle sales tax on the purchase price of the vehicle titled in Texas and owned by Texas residents. New residents pay about $90.

Homes Near Base