Count on us to guide you home

Eielson Air Force Base

Fairbanks, Alaska

Return to Home Page         Return to Base Home Page


Airman and Family Readiness Center
2631 Wabash Avenue, Suite 1
Eielson AFB, AK 99702

Phone 907-377-2178
Phone (DSN) 317-377-2178
Fax 907-377-3329
Fax (DSN) 317-377-3329

Mon - Thu 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Fri 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Sat - Closed
Sun - Closed
Holidays Closed

Registration & Licensing Requirements

Alaska State law requires you to have sufficient liability insurance and a valid driver’s license in order to operate a vehicle. The term “vehicle” generally includes automobiles, motorcycles, vans, trailers and boats regularly parked or garaged overnight. Further, your vehicle must be properly registered. Even though you are in the Military, you may be required to register your vehicle in-state and obtain an in-state license within a few months of moving.

*State Laws

You and your passengers must always wear seatbelts while driving, you will be ticketed and issued heavy fines if seatbelts are not secured. State law requires that all children under 3 years of age be properly restrained in child seats. Some states also require younger, smaller children to sit in the back seat.

Motorcycles and their operators are subject to special laws. If you own and operate a motorcycle, you must comply with those laws. Visit the State Department of Motor Vehicles website for more information.

Many States and local jurisdictions have strict laws about the use of cell phones and other digital devices while driving. Research these laws on the State Department of Motor Vehicles website. Tickets will be issued and fines assessed for violating these laws. Play it safe and always use a “hands free” device if you must use a cell phone or other PDA while driving. Hands-free devices must be used while operating a motor vehicle on ALL military installations worldwide.

*Registering Vehicles on Base

Motor vehicle registration by the Eielson Security Forces is no longer required but individuals are still required to show a Common Access Card, and/or Dependant ID at entry point. All privately owned vehicles driven on Eielson must be properly registered in their home state.

*Registering Vehicles in Alaska

Registration fees for vehicles in Alaska are based on the class of vehicle and on the weight of a vehicle in cases of trucks, buses and for hire vehicles. If your auto is registered in another state, in the active duty member's name, and the member maintains residency and a current driver's license for that state, you will not be required to purchase Alaskan license plates.

The license plates that are presently on your auto must be current at all times. If you intend to register your auto in the state of Alaska, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) prefers that you register your vehicle through the U.S. postal system rather than in person, as it adds to the congestion at the DMV. After the initial registration of your vehicle(s) at the DMV office, a fee of $10 is charged to you if register in person. Vehicle registration fees are approximately $100 for a non-commercial owned vehicle. Alaska is a two plate state

*Alaska Driver’s License

Active duty members who maintain residency in another state and hold a current driver's license of that state will not be required to obtain an Alaska driver's license. However, spouses and family members are not exempt! If a spouse or family member plans to drive in Alaska they will be required to obtain an Alaska license within 90 days of arrival if unemployed and within 30 days if employed. If you currently hold a license in another state you will not be required to take the driving test to get an Alaska license, however you will be required to take the written exam and the vision exam.

*Safety Requirements

Seat Belts -- Alaska state law requires the use of seat belts in all vehicles equipped with them.

Helmet --Alaska state law does not require helmets to be worn when riding a motorcycle. However, AF regulation does require all persons operating or riding on a motorcycle or ATV to wear a helmet. All bicycle riders must wear a helmet.

Homes Near Base