Count on us to guide you home

Malmstrom Air Force Base

Great Falls, Montana

Return to Home Page         Return to Base Home Page


Information and Referral (I&R)-Airman and Family Readiness Center
7215 Goddard Dr.
Bldg 1191
Malmstrom AFB, MT 59402-7511

Phone 406-731-4900
Phone (DSN) 312-632-4900
Fax 406-731-2406
Fax (DSN) 312-632-2406

Mon - Fri 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. 
Sat and Sun - Closed 
Holidays - Closed

Registration & Licensing Requirements

Montana State law requires you to have sufficient liability insurance and a valid driver’s license in order to operate a vehicle. The term “vehicle” generally includes automobiles, motorcycles, vans, trailers and boats regularly parked or garaged overnight. Further, your vehicle must be properly registered. Even though you are in the Military, you may be required to register your vehicle in-state and obtain an in-state license within a few months of moving. Access complete information on insurance, driver’s licensing, and where and how to register your vehicle by visiting the  State Department of Motor Vehicles.

State Laws

You and your passengers must always wear seatbelts while driving. You will be ticketed and issued heavy fines if seatbelts are not secured. State law requires that all children under 5 years of age and 60 pounds be properly restrained in child seats. Some states also require younger, smaller children to sit in the back seat.

Motorcycles and their operators are subject to special laws. If you own and operate a motorcycle, you must comply with those laws. Visit the State Department of Motor Vehicles website for more information.

Many States and local jurisdictions have strict laws about the use of cell phones and other digital devices while driving. Research these laws on the State Department of Motor Vehicles website. Tickets will be issued and fines assessed for violating these laws. Play it safe and always use a “hands free” device if you must use a cell phone or other PDA while driving. Hands-free devices must be used while operating a motor vehicle on ALL military installations worldwide.

Registering Vehicles on Base

Registration/Decals are no longer required, although you must have a valid Driver's License and State registration upon request. You must also present either a pass or proper ID to enter the base.

If you are not a Montana resident, Montana vehicle registration and license tags may be obtained at a substantial savings by presenting your Military ID, title of vehicle, and current LES to the assessors office at the courthouse.

Homes Near Base

No listings found for Malmstrom Air Force Base.