Regional Legal Service Office
3530 N Langley Boulevard
Building 243, Ault Field
Oak Harbor, WA 98278-1300
Phone (DSN) 312-820-2126
Fax (DSN) 312-820-6714
Mon - Fri 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Closed weekends & holidays
Region Legal Service Office NW, Whidbey Island Branch Office Legal Assistance Services
NAS Whidbey Island has a branch of the Region Naval Legal Service Office (RLSO) located on the main base in Building 243 on Langley Boulevard across from the Navy Exchange Gas Station.
Hours of operation are from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Eligibility for Services
- Active duty personnel
- Reservists and members of the National Guard on active duty for 30 days or more, and their dependents. 29 days or less, on emergency cases only. Provide services for pre-mobilization, mobilization, and follow-up after demobilization.
- Dependents of active duty personnel
- Dependents of personnel who died while on active duty
- Retired military personnel and their dependents
- Dependents of deceased retired members
- DoD civilian personnel deploying for at least 30 days or assigned to a foreign country, and their dependents
- Other eligible persons authorized by the JAG
Types of Services
(included but not limited to):
- Powers of Attorney and notary services (completed without appointment)
- Basic Will and other basic estate planning preparation
- Advance Medical Directives and Health Care Powers of Attorney (completed with will packet)
- Domestic relations, including divorce, separation, child custody, and paternity (advice only - no paperwork drafted)
- Military Rights and Benefits
- Step Parent Adoptions (paperwork drafted only if both biological parents consent)
- Consumer affairs including warranty disputes, identity theft, and credit report disputes
- Immigration and Naturalization Assistance (in a limited capacity)
- Landlord-Tenant Relations
- Spousal nonsupport
- Servicemembers' Civil Relief Act
- Tax Assistance (in a limited capacity)
- Foreclosure and mortgage issues (advice only)
No services provided for:
- Private business matters
- Representation in court
- Assistance in matters against the United States government
- Employment matters
- Real Estate contracts
- Most attorney services require an appointment
- We do not provide legal advice over the phone
- To schedule an appointment, please call 360-257-2126/2127. Please do not expect to be seen the same day the appointment was made. With any type of appointment that you make with the RLSO, please bring any document(s) that may pertain to your issue. This will better help the attorney in assisting you with your situation. Also, if you have young children, please make arrangements for them prior to coming to your appointment and attending any of the seminars and workshops.
Dissolution of Marriage
- Personnel needing advice on divorce are required to watch the Dissolution of Marriage video prior to seeing a legal assistance attorney.
- The seminar video is approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes and gives a comprehensive overview of the divorce process and issues to consider such as child support and custody. A checklist of the types of forms you need, the website where these forms can be downloaded for free, and sample forms are provided to you.
- The RLSO gives you the tools to allow you to do the dissolution process yourself inexpensively. Once you have the forms completed, the RLSO can review those documents for you prior to submitting it to the clerk at the courthouse. Reviews are by appointment only.
- Assistance is limited to uncontested divorces. If the divorce becomes contested, then you may have to hire your own civilian attorney at your own expense.
Wills and Estate Planning
Will Intake Interviews are held on a walk-in, first-come-first-serve basis every Thursday at 9:00 a.m. and are geared towards deploying personnel and emergency cases. It's designed for a quick will interview process. For married couples or for those with complex wills (i.e. credit shelter trusts, etc.), we encourage that an appointment be made instead.
For non-deploying and non-emergency cases, please call to schedule an appointment for a will draft interview.
- Will and estate planning requires a 2-part appointment: 1. Will draft interview and 2. Will oath/execution. Allow at least one hour for each appointment.
Claims services are managed by Code 15, The Claims and Tort Litigation Division. This division has worldwide responsibility for processing different types of claims under various statutes and regulations. They develop and implement claims policy for the Judge Advocate General (JAG) and the Secretary of the Navy (SECNAV), and processes all claims brought for or against the Navy.
- For all claims issues, please visit the JAG website. Under Legal Services, scroll down to Claims. The site provides the packets and forms, the addresses to file the claims, phone and fax numbers.
Household Goods Claim Services
All personal property damage claims are filed through your moving carrier. For assistance with filing a personal property claim, contact the Personnel Claims Act Unit help line at 1-888-897-8217, 7:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., EST, Monday through Friday.
Personal property claimants are reminded that they must continue to submit DD Form 1840/1840R reporting all losses to their moving carrier within 75 days of delivery of household goods or your claim will be reduced or denied.
For more information about what services the RLSO has to offer visit the JAG website or call 360-257-2126/2127.