Children and Youth Registration
24 Lathrop Drive
Edwards AFB, CA 93524
Phone (DSN) 312-575-5437
Fax (DSN) 312-525-3299
Registration is Mon - Fri 11:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Mon - Fri 2:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Sat and Sun - closed
Holidays – closed
- Child Development Center (CDC)
- The Edwards Child Development Center (CDC) is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children and certified by the Department of Defense and the Department of the Air Force. The Edwards AFB School Age Program has been accredited by the National School Age Care Alliance and certified by the Department of Defense and the Department of the Air Force.
- Child Care Services
- The CDC offers the highest quality child care services available for children six weeks through 5 years (those not enrolled in kindergarten). Programs include full-day care, hourly care and part-day enrichment program.
- Children of active duty military and Department of Defense (DoD) civilians and contractors are eligible for child and youth programs on Edwards AFB.
- The Edwards Child Development Center is the central location for registering children ages 6 weeks to 5 years for full time care or part-day enrichment programs for children ages 3 to 5. Two schedules for Part-day Enrichment Programs are available: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 9:00 to 11:30 a.m. and Tuesday and Thursday from 9:00 to 11:30 a.m. By filling out a DD Form 2606, you can place your child's name on the child care waiting list in advance prior to your arrival to Edwards. For those overseas, fax the completed DD Form 2606 to 661-277-2849 or DSN 312-527-2849. CDC staff will call the parent once childcare becomes available. It is also a good idea to follow up and call the CDC at 661-275-8687 or DSN 312-525-8687, prior to PCSing to Edwards if the parents have not received notification from the CDC. Upon arrival at Edwards check in with the CDC, Building 6457 to check the status of your request for care and/or to register.
- Fees are determined by using a sliding income-based scale - currently 9 categories.
- Priority Care
- Priority for child care services is given to single/dual military and DoD civilians.
- Waiting List
- Currently there is a small waiting list for infant care. To be placed on the waiting list prior to arrival at Edwards, complete DD Form 2606 at your local Child Development Center/Youth Center and send to Edwards AFB.
- Hourly Care
- Hourly care is available on a space available basis; reservations may be opened two weeks in advance.
- Number of Programs
- Edwards AFB has one Child Development Center, a Family Child Care Home Program, and one School Age Program with school age care provided at two locations.
- Respite Care
- There is no provision for respite care at this time.
- Family Child Care Home Program
- The Family Child Care Administrative office is located inside the Child Development Center. The Lending Library will remain in the Center for Excellence for the provider’s convenience. This move will provide parents “one-stop shopping” for Child Care Resource and Referral to better help families with their child care needs. FCC contact numbers will remain the same: 661-275-4322(4FCC), 661-277-7823 (FAX).
- Edwards Family Child Care program offers an alternative to daycare in a home environment. Licensed providers are trained in child development, first aid, food handling and many other areas of training.
- All persons providing childcare in their home for more than 10 hours a week must be licensed. Family Child Care can help you become a provider or assist you in finding quality in home care.
- The Benefits of Being a Family Child Care Provider:
- Being able to work out of your home
- Working while caring for your own children
- Being in charge of your own business
- Doing work that you love
- Setting your own hours!
- FCC is continuously seeking providers to offer alternate hours to accommodate evening, swing, and weekend duty hours. We are looking for providers to offer care for special needs including asthma, allergies, cerebral palsy, and other physical impairments.
- FCC offers care for children, employment of staff, and approval of FCC providers with chronic health problems. If you are interested in becoming a FCC provider, orientation classes start soon! Contact us at 661-275-4322.
- School Age Program (SAP)
- The School Age Program provides care for children in kindergarten through twelve years of age. Parents may choose from either the before, after, or the before and after programs. Transportation is provided to and from the base schools. Children in kindergarten through second grades are provided care at the Youth Center Annex, next to the Child Development Center. Children in third through sixth grades are provided care in Building 5210, the Main Youth Activities Center. Full day care is offered during nonfederal school holidays and in the summer through the Summer Camp Program.
- Teen Center
- The Teen Center provides youth grades 7 through 12 a place to hang out after school. The center is affiliated with the Boys & Girls Club of America and offers many of the B&GCA programs, as well as Air Force programs.
- Teen Sponsorship is available to teens who will be moving to Edwards AFB. Let us know through our facebook account “EdwardsAFBteencenter” or call 661-275-TEEN.
- The Teen Center is proud to be affiliated with the Keystone Club, which provides many leadership and volunteer opportunities within the base. There are other programs the teens can take advantage of such as the Congressional Awards Programs, Youth of the Year, Youth Employment Skills and many others.
- The Teen Center hosts many life skills classes and arts festivals where teens can learn new skills and show their talent progress. The teens can become involved in small drama productions, arts and crafts, digital arts and web design, just to name a few fun activities.
- There is a great diner area where the kids can eat snacks, do their homework and hang out with friends. If that is not their style they can together play on one of the many game systems available, work on the computers or watch TV. Watch the Services magazine SABRE, because the Teen Center also hosts many middle school and high school dances throughout the year.
- Don’t Forget the Teen Center is open before school from 6:00 am – 8:00 am. Finish homework, surf the web, or just relax before school starts. *Annual Membership is required. Call for details.